Legal help offered after Legacy Crossing tenants slapped with high outstanding charges

Funviralpark 1 year ago 0 3

Omaha, Nebraska (WOWT) – Delphine Newsome is one of many Legacy Crossing tenants vacationing in search of a new home.

“It’s hard to find another place to stay,” Newsom said. “I stay here and there.”

A few days after being evicted from his apartment, Newsom was shocked to learn that he had overpaid for the property and would not get his full security deposit back.

“I’ve lost a lot of money since living here. I’ve been staying here for almost two years. They haven’t fixed anything.”

Newsom is not alone.

Residents shared with 6 News that they received bills with outstanding balances such as sewerage and water bills. One of those bills is $4,100.

Heartland Family Service worked with Nebraska Legal Aid to allow residents to respond to these charges with a formal letter.

“The letter contains information about where they need to send the letter and includes wording to help them request the return of their deposit,” Family Services.

Residents can fill out a letter and turn it into a Legacy Crossing Apartment when they turn in their keys. The resident is also encouraged to mail the letter to her two addresses on the template and keep a copy for your records.

“Our case managers are happy to explain what the process is like,” Paces says.

Heartland Family Service cannot give legal advice, but is happy to point people in the right direction.

Residents needing legal advice can call Nebraska Legal Aid at 1-(877)-250-2016.

Heartland Family Service provides letters to all Legacy Crossing residents, but you can also contact them directly to request one.

Residents can also contact Amy Melton on Omaha City Council. She is an attorney who works with Nebraska Legal Aid to organize a legal task force. Contact them at (402)-226-1899.

– Advertisement – BuzzMag Ad
Written By

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

– Advertisement – BuzzMag Ad