Menu

Adam Fox sentenced to 16 years in prison for Whitmer kidnapping plot

Funviralpark 1 year ago 0 3

Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer in East Lansing, November 2022.
Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer in East Lansing, November 2022. Photo: Brandon Bell/Getty Images

Adam Fox, who was convicted in August of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, was sentenced to 16 years in prison by a U.S. District Court judge on Tuesday.

Important reasons: Fox and his co-defendants were accused of kidnapping Whitmer and leading a plot to violently attack and overthrow the state government, which was ultimately thwarted by the FBI.

  • Both Fox and Barry Croft Jr. were convicted of conspiracy to kidnap the governor and conspiracy to acquire weapons of mass destruction.
  • Prosecutors said they had planned to use a bomb to destroy the bridge as part of the kidnapping plot.
  • Fox faced possible life in prison over his conviction.

What they say: “Mr. Fox and his co-conspirator Mr. Croft were convicted by a jury of masterminding a plot to kidnap the governor of Michigan and use weapons of mass destruction against corresponding law enforcement agencies.” Department of Justice Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen said. The National Security Agency said in a statement.

  • “Today’s ruling supports the protection of elected officials, law enforcement officers, and dedicated public servants from criminal threats and violence, and the holding of perpetrators of such acts to full accountability under the law. It reflects the Department of Justice’s unwavering commitment,” Olsen added.

Big picture: Three men were convicted earlier this month after being found guilty of providing material support for terrorist acts over a conspiracy. This partially responded to Whitmer’s COVID-19 restrictions.

What’s next: Croft, who was also convicted of knowingly possessing an unregistered destructive device, is scheduled to face sentencing on Wednesday. He faces the possibility of life imprisonment.

Further details: DHS secretary warns of ‘new threat of domestic violent extremists’

Editor’s Note: This article has been updated with a DOJ statement.

– Advertisement – BuzzMag Ad
Written By

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

– Advertisement – BuzzMag Ad